Thank You for Your Interest in Volunteer Coaching!
How Do I Become a Volunteer Coach?
To be a Volunteer Coach you must meet the following requirements:
1. Fill out and submit a Background Check form, which will be performed by the Somerset County Prosecutors Office. This needs to be completed every 3 years. Background Check Pg 1 Background Check Pg 2 Valid Identifications - Depending on the sport/program an additional Background Check may also need to be completed by the town hosting the sport/program. All registration fees will be refunded to the Coach.
2. Attend a Rutgers SAFETY Clinic (Sports Awareness for Educating Today’s Youth). This is a three-hour program that fulfills the requirements of N.J.A.C. 5:52, "Minimum Standards for Volunteer Coaches Safety Orientation and Training Skills Programs." This clinic is required for all youth sport coaches. Coaches only need to attend the clinic once to obtain their permanent certification. - All registration fees will be refunded to the Coach. - Upcoming Rutgers SAFETY Clinics * Tuesday, August 31st from 6pm to 9pm at Hillsborough Municipal Building (Hillsborough Recreation Registration) * Monday, September 13th from 7pm to 10pm at Bridgewater Senior Center (Bridgewater Recreation Registration)
3. Complete the online Heads Up Concussion Training course, once every three years. https://www.cdc.gov/headsup/youthsports/coach.html
Volunteer Coach Guidelines:
- All coaches and instructors must be at least 16 years old.
- All coaches must follow the local rules governing their specific sport or activity. Any specific league rules must also be adhered to.
- Coaches will be responsible only for the participants on his/her team. Coaches shall not be held accountable for the actions of spectators but should however make best efforts to assist in maintaining proper order.
- Coaches’ responsibility for participants on his/her team commences 15 minutes prior to a practice or game, during the activity, and until all the participants are released to a parent or legal guardian.
- Coaches will supervise assistant coaches and players before, during and after games and practices.
- Teach the fundamentals of their specific sport or activity by learning and following all program rules, policies and procedures.
- Encourage the involvement of other parents.
- Distribute all pertinent information to all parents / players.
- Provide a safe and fun environment for all participants.
- As the program dictates, provide equal play time for all players.
- Be a leader and a mentor - remember it’s all about the players learning and having fun, it’s not about the win!